Center for the Study of Consecrated Life
Catholic Theological Union
5401 S Cornell Ave.
Chicago, IL 60615
Sr. Maria Cimperman, RSCJ, Director
Associate Professor of Theological Ethics
Director, Center for the Study of Consecrated Life
B.A. Ursuline College; M.Div. University of Notre Dame; S.T.L. Weston Jesuit School of Theology; Ph.D. Boston College (Theological Ethics)
Maria Cimperman is a Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Her work is at the intersection of moral theology, social ethics and spirituality with a focus on topics related to contemporary religious life. Maria presents and engages nationally and internationally with diverse groups on contemporary religious life issues. She brings a post-Vatican II generational lens to the wider theological, pastoral and global concerns of religious life and a desire to respond to the future God is creating as we respond to God’s people and all of creation.
An engaging speaker who enjoys offering a global perspective with a reflective lens that looks at the realities and needs around us, Maria works on various religious life topics with women and men in various stages of initial and ongoing formation, leadership groups and with congregations discerning future directions. In addition to writing on this topic, she presents both nationally and internationally, including with groups such as:
- National Religious Vocation Conference (NRVC)
- Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR)
- National Conference of Vicars of Religious (NCVR)
- Religious Formation Conference (RFC)
- International Institute and General Chapter gatherings.
Thus it is no surprise that the next manuscript she finds calling her is a book on religious life!
Courses at CTU:
- Spirituality of Religious Life
- Religious Life for the 21st Century: Creating Communities of Hope on a Global Scale
- Spirituality for the New Millennium
- Social Analysis for Pastoral Praxis
- Foundations: Theology for the Practice of Ministry